Friday, September 26, 2014

England
Despite the colder weather, England was my favorite place so far. I was able to dress up a little more than in Greece and Rome. Something about wearing nice clothes in England that I absolutely love. There wasn't too much sunlight, but that didn't bring me down. We started off with the number one recommended tourist activity; the Double-Decker Bus Tour. I was thrilled to be doing our tour on wheels. Comfortable walking shoes would have totally ruined my outfit. We all grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then waited outside for the huge bus to approach our hotel. When it had arrived, we all piled in and sat back to enjoy the ride. We approached the beautiful Windsor castle(our farthest sight to see), as we all began to read in our travel guide the significance of England's government to Modern Democracy. The fort walls lining the castle gave it the 'Hogwarts' look. Our guide began to point out the parts of the castle of which the queen stays in. Our tour of the oldest, and largest, castle in the world was coming to an end, and we had to move on. The view of all the streets and buildings was overwhelming. Buckingham Palace was drawing closer and the excitement inside me was growing by the second. I watched the royal wedding and I enjoy all of the Middleton family drama and lifestyle greatly. Kate is now pregnant as well!!! What perfect timing to pay her a visit. We unloaded off the bus and everyone rushed to the guards. Obviously none of them even flinched at the sight of us. After a few minutes of playing around, we were instructed by Mrs. Hamilton not to go near them any longer as tempting as it is. I began to look for more interesting facts like the 78 different bathrooms the palace contains. There was sadly no queen or king in sight, so we headed of the the museum of England. We learned there the fascinating story of King James I and King Charles I. I decided to tour the museum from beginning to end, which came helpful to me when I was taking my notes. It played out like a story-book! This was the era containing the Petition of Right, the Restoration, the English Civil War, and the Restoration. During this time the Habeas Corpus was created as well. To introduce us to the most influential document in England, the English Bill of Rights, we were able to sit in on a Parliament Re-Enactment meeting. This was the re-enactment of King William and Queen Mary signing the English Bill of Rights. Many of the ideas sounded extremeley familiar to America's Bill of Rights, keeping in mind that this was a major influence.The signing of the Bill of Rights in England was a significant time period due to the ending of the Absolute Monarchy.

Contributions to Modern Democracy:
  • Common Law
  • Magna Carta
  • Model Parliament
  • Rule by Law
  • Bill of Rights
  • Habeas Corpus-rights of prisoners
  • Glorius Revolution
  • Abolishment of Divine Right
  • Jury

No comments:

Post a Comment